I wrote up Jeff's 20 Questions and gave them to the players to introduce the campaign since I'm aiming for something other than vanilla DnD, something I'm calling:
"SPACE MUTANT DnD"SETTING:
Characters begin in Foulcrest, a dwarven factory town on bluffs overlooking mud flats At the top of an inland sea/lake. Sleesport is on a peninsula at the south end of the lake with access to a larger sea. Across the lake from Foulcrest is the ruined city of Xenos. The Elf King's Tomb is in the bleak forest: a place even the elves don't go.
Sleestak, Dwarf, Human, Kobold. More playable races can be unlocked in game.
all PHB classes. Maybe more may be unlocked in game.
1. What is the deal with my cleric's religion?
You're Cleric most likely worships the Lord of Light, the Lazer God. He lives in the City of Angels and looks like this:
There are also rumors of cults of Warlocks in Xenos.
2. Where can we go to buy standard equipment?
Foulcrest for most things or Sleesport for larger sea-going ships or weirder items.
3. Where can we go to get platemail custom fitted for this monster I just befriended?
Pay the dwarves of Foulcrest extra and they can do it. They are quite industrious.
4. Who is the mightiest wizard in the land?
Well there used to be the elves... Maybe the Shroud of Xenos? Who knows really.
5. Who is the greatest warrior in the land?
The chief of the Dwarves of Foulcrest is pretty tough, otherwise maybe one of the barbarians.
6. Who is the richest person in the land?
One of the Dwarf or Sleestak merchant houses who run Foulcrest and Sleesport.
7. Where can we go to get some magical healing?
The Temple of the Lord of Light in Foulcrest.
8. Where can we go to get cures for the following conditions: poison, disease, curse, level drain, lycanthropy, polymorph, alignment change, death, undeath?
The Clerics of the Lord of Light in Foulcrest might have to direct you to one of their monasteries in the Blade Mountains. You can hire a Runner to guide you.
9. Is there a magic guild my MU belongs to or that I can join in order to get more spells?
Nope. Wizards are lonely weirdos. They may find items or spells on their adventures.
10. Where can I find an alchemist, sage or other expert NPC?
11. Where can I hire mercenaries?
Foulcrest is full of disgruntled workers (mostly human and dwarf) in the dwarven mills. Offer them two weeks pay and they'll follow you, offer them 2 months pay and they'll follow you anywhere.
12. Is there any place on the map where swords are illegal, magic is outlawed or any other notable hassles from Johnny Law?
Well, it's bad news to get on the wrong side of the law in any town. The Sleestaks are known to be especially nasty. They run Sleesport like bug-eyed, lizard-clawed Bugsy Siegels.
13. Which way to the nearest tavern?
Plenty in Foulcrest and more in Sleesport.
14. What monsters are terrorizing the countryside sufficiently that if I kill them I will become famous?
Funny you should ask...
15. Are there any wars brewing I could go fight?
16. How about gladiatorial arenas complete with hard-won glory and fabulous cash prizes?
Some say the Lord of Light has contests to determine a champion who is granted special boons, but these are usually quests, not gladiatorial fights.
17. Are there any secret societies with sinister agendas I could join and/or fight?
Yep: The Sleestak Mafia. The Dwarven Counter-Sleestak Insurgency. The Cults of Xenos. Just to name a few.
18. What is there to eat around here?
Deep fried dinosaur. Giant Strawberries. Dwarven Ale. Sleestaks are vegetarians for the most part, though some say they prize certain mammals as delicacies.
19. Any legendary lost treasures I could be looking for?
There's the Crown of the Elf King...
20. Where is the nearest dragon or other monster with Type H treasure?
Some say there is a secret court of alien vampires in Xenos. And there is a Chimera to the north.